Thursday, July 2, 2015

Capitol Bible Study: "In the World but Not of the World"

From this week's Bible study at the West Virginia capitol:

 

“This world is not my home, I’m just a-passing through…”

 

Most of us remember those familiar words from this old gospel song. It goes on, “Lord, You know, I have no friend like You. If Heaven’s not my home, then Lord what will I do? The angels beckon me from heaven’s open door; and I can’t feel at home in this world any more”. This song poignantly speaks of a believer’s desire to go home to heaven to be with Christ. Later verses tell of loved ones who have gone on before and of the victory and rejoicing that takes place in heaven. It reminds of Paul’s teaching that “our citizenship is in heaven” (Philippians 3:20) and that we should “set our minds on things above” (Colossians 3:2). While we might certainly long for the peace, joy, and victory of heaven, we are left here on earth to face the trials, challenges, and difficulties of life in this world.  While our hearts may be in heaven, Jesus has left us here in this world for a reason.  

We will be more effective in living out our Christian lives and sharing the gospel with the lost by learning from Jesus’ descriptions of our relationship with the world found in His prayer in John 17.

Read or download our study, "What in the World?"

.

No comments: