How should we pray for our legislators and elected officials? An important part of our ministry is encouraging churches and individual believers to faithfully and specifically pray for their leaders. That is why we developed the West Virginia Prayer Column, an online version of our daily prayer guide. There you can find the names of several legislators and leaders for whom you can pray each day. When we do pray for them, how should we pray? We find a good example in the ministry of the Apostle Paul.
This week’s Bible study in the West Virginia state capitol is titled, “A Great Prayer for the Capitol Community”. In it we are studying Paul’s prayer for the church in Philippi found in Philippians 1:9-11. Indeed, in it we see a great model of how we might pray for those serving in the statehouse. We must certainly pray for those who do not know Christ that they might believe in Him. Paul gives us a wonderful example of how we can pray for believers there as well. We can pray:
- That their love may abound more and more in real knowledge and all discernment
- That they might approve the things that are excellent
- That they might be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ
- That they might be filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ
- That all they do might be to the glory and praise of God
Of course, this is a great prayer for every church and for each one of us as believers. I believe it is also a great prayer for those serving in the capitol community.