Friday, May 21, 2010

Interim Bible Study: "The Authority of God's Word"

From this month's interim Bible study from Psalm 119, "The Authority of God's Word":

"The writer of this Psalm loved, esteemed, and treasured God’s Word because He loved, esteemed, treasured God. Because He had a high and exalted view of God, he had a high and exalted view of His Word. If we neglect or denigrate the Scriptures, we must consider carefully our view of and attitude towards God Himself."

Our conclusion taken from Martin Lloyd-Jones:

"We all therefore have to face this ultimate and final question: Do we accept the Bible as the Word of God, as the sole authority in all matters of faith and practice, or do we not? Is the whole of my thinking governed by Scripture, or do I come with my reason and pick and choose out of Scripture and sit in judgment upon it, putting myself and modern knowledge forward as the ultimate standard and authority? The issue is crystal clear. Do I accept Scripture as a revelation from God, or do I trust to speculation, human knowledge, human learning, human understanding and human reason."

You can read the complete study here.

No comments: